Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Good morning, Swirly Savages! I am pumped to be able to share my first DT creations with you using the June kit, Boy's Night Out. Despite the name, the kit can be used for masculine layouts or sweet girly ones. 

Since we celebrated Father's Day in June, I decided to make a layout of my father. I always start with the sketch challenge. So, this layout is of my dad and I many moons ago.


The  leaves, drywall tape, and black embossing paste were from my stash. I made the flowers and will share the tut with you today. The "Father" die cut is from the embellishment add on. All the other elements were from the main kit. I altered the fiber by snipping the loops on one side and pulling the thread that was wrapped around the loops to create all the twirly fibers.

And, the flowers? Well, the savages snagged all the flower add ons so I had to make my own!

Here's a look at them.


I used to sew my daughter's Easter and Christmas dresses when she was younger and I have a lot of sewing patterns that I no longer use. But, now I do have a use for them! I made these flowers out of sewing pattern tissue paper. Very simple. Even if you don't sew, you can pick up old patterns at garage sales.
Keep the sewing pattern folded so you get many die cut layers all at once. I used the TH Tattered Florals die.

 Then, pull out about half of the layers that have been cut. Here's a quick look at how many I pulled out to create the flowers.


Next, you will need to use a hole punch to make a hole through the center of all the layers.



Now, put a metal brad through the hole to secure all the layers together. Then, you can begin gathering up the layers around the brad.


Continue scrunching up layers of tissue around the brad, like so.



After I pulled and scrunched about 15-20 layers, the flower looked like this.



Now, once the center is created it's okay to begin pulling up multiple layers and scrunching them to fill out the flower.


There you have it! I used two different sizes on the sketch challenge and they worked perfect. The tissue flowers are perfect for heritage pages.


Give it a whirl! I'd love to see what you create!

I loved the flowers so much I used them on my next layout, too!
This is an example for the All That Flutters Challenge. I love to enter this challenge every month because I love butterflies on my pages.

What I love about this page is the fact that I found out my grandma is a scrapper, too. She started when she was just out of high school. My mom and I went to visit and look at her albums. I was able to scan pictures from her albums to scrap myself.


This page features some pictures I scanned from her album.
Again, more of the tissue flowers on this one.


The last one that I will share today is more on the girly side.
More pictures from my grandma's albums. These pictures of her are priceless.


I have created three more layouts and shared those on the Swirlydoos Facebook page. You can see all the June layouts here

And, here's a sneak of something I have in store for you later this month. What do you do when you get down to the scraps of your kit? Do you toss them? Make a card? Keep them for later (and, later never arrives)?  Well, here's what's left of my June kit.


I'll show you what to do when you get down to the bare bones of your kit.

Thanks so much for stopping by our blog today! If you are not a Swirlydoos Kit Club subscriber, please consider it so that you never miss any of our beautifully coordinated kits. Please visit Swirlydoos Kit Club and click on Join Our Club on the left side bar. Be sure to mention my name, Jan, when you subscribe because you will receive a 10% discount on your first kit AND a coupon for 30% off an entire purchase in the Swirlydoos store. Your Swirlydoos store purchases are always shipped free when shipped along with your monthly kit. Swirlydoos also maintains a Forum where everyone can share their work, tell stories and have a ton of fun! We have monthly challenges too so please come and join us!

0 comments:

Facebook

Facebook
Be sure to "LIKE & FOLLOW" Swirlydoos for special FB only deals and promos

Pin Us!!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Scrapbook Sketches

Scrapbook Sketches
see all of our sketches here

Grab the Blinkie!

Photobucket

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers

Live Ustream


Live Feed